Former England captains Andrew Strauss and Geoffrey Boycott have each been given knighthoods in former Prime Minister Theresa May’s resignation honours list.
The two opening batsmen were the only sporting names featured in a list largely consisting of political figures – a nod to Mrs May’s lifelong love of cricket and her admiration for Boycott in particular.
Strauss played exactly 100 Tests for England between 2004 and 2012, scoring over 7,000 runs at an average of 40.91 and captaining his country to two Ashes series wins and the number one spot in the ICC world rankings.
Andy Flower, who as England coach from 2009 to 2014 shared in Strauss’s successes, led the tributes to his former captain.
Flower told the PA news agency: “I cannot think of a man more worthy of the honour.
“As a player he was tough and resilient, as a captain he balanced a firm hand and moral compass with a compassion and empathy that meant he was loved and respected in the dressing room by his players and the staff. As a father and husband he acted with a level of courage and integrity that is an example to us all.
“We are very proud of him.”
England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison said in a statement released to PA: “We couldn’t be more delighted that Sir Andrew Strauss joins other giants within the sport who have been knighted for their achievements.
“Playing 255 times for England, including exactly 100 Test matches, he captained his country for 50 of those Tests, leading England to number one in the world rankings and winning the 2009-10 Ashes in Australia – the first England captain to do so in over 20 years.
JUST IN: Geoffrey Boycott and Andrew Strauss have been given knighthoods in Theresa May's resignation honours list. pic.twitter.com/3vNvyOuJMY— Wisden (@WisdenCricket) September 9, 2019
“He finished his playing career in 2012, having scored over 17,000 first-class runs for Middlesex and England.
“In May 2015, Andrew was invited to join the ECB as director, England cricket, to shape the future strategy of the men’s international teams – in part to enable an environment that would see England as live contenders for the World Cup in 2019, an aim they so thrillingly delivered on just a few short months ago.
“It was with the same class and courage that he and his family set up the Ruth Strauss Foundation to raise money and awareness just a few months after losing (wife) Ruth to a rare form of cancer. The foundation raised over £400,000 in August as Lord’s turned red on day two of the Ashes Test against Australia.
“Aside from his achievements on and off the pitch, Andrew is widely regarded as an exceptional person in our game and this wonderful accolade will be celebrated around the cricketing world.
“Our heartfelt congratulations also go to Sir Geoffrey Boycott – honoured for his long career and passionate dedication to the sport.”
Middlesex chairman Mike O’Farrell added: “What wonderful recognition for a person who has done so much for cricket at so many levels and who in the face of personal tragedy continues to focus on doing good for others through the Ruth Strauss Foundation.
“Middlesex Cricket is really proud of ‘Straussy’ – one of our own.”
Boycott’s 108 Tests from 1964 to 1982 brought him 8,114 runs at 47.72 – the first man to reach 8,000 in Tests for England – while he averaged 56,83 for his first-class career with 151 centuries and over 48,000 runs in all. He captained England in four Tests in 1978, deputising for the injured Mike Brearley.
At a news conference last November, Mrs May was asked in the form of a cricketing analogy about the number of ministerial resignations, or “wickets”, over her handling of Brexit.
“One of my cricket heroes was always Geoffrey Boycott, and what do you know about Geoffrey Boycott?” she said. “He stuck to it, and he got the runs in the end.”
She had previously praised his dogged style during an appearance on the BBC’s Test Match Special programme.
Boycott was forced to apologise in 2017 after joking that he would have to “black up” to receive a knighthood, pointing out that the honour had been bestowed on West Indian cricketers including Sir Viv Richards, Sir Garfield Sobers and Sir Curtly Ambrose.
He was also given a three-month suspended prison sentence in 1998 after being convicted of assault against former girlfriend Margaret Moore, while in 2002 he was diagnosed with throat cancer but made a full recovery and returned to the commentary box.
Provided by Press Association Sports
Ten Sri Lankan players have decided against travelling to Pakistan for the upcoming tour, scheduled to begin on September 27 in Karachi.
Lasith Malinga, Angelo Mathews and Thisara Perera are among the top players to pull out from the tour, which consists of three ODIs and three T20 games.
A militant attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore a decade ago had stopped several top cricketing nations from touring the country.
The Sri Lanka cricket board stated that all players were briefed about the security arrangements and it was left to their discretion if they wanted to go ahead.
Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Perera, Dhananjaya de Silva, Akila Dananjaya, Suranga Lakmal, Dinesh Chandimal and Dimuth Karunaratne were the other players who “chose to stay away” from the series.
It was believed that this tour will attract more nations to Pakistan after years of isolation.
Sri Lanka batsman Danushka Gunathilaka was among the players who believed that the security would be adequate.
“From what they told us, I think there will be very tight security,” Gunathilaka said.
The island nation will also participate in two Test matches against Pakistan but the dates and venue have not been announced yet.
Sri Lanka’s sports minister Harin Fernando has suggested the United Arab Emirates should be the venue, as opposed to Pakistan. The UAE has served as the home ground of several of Pakistan’s series in the past few years.
Prolific Indian domestic batsman Amol Muzumdar will be heading back to his home country after being named as South Africa’s batting coach for next month’s three-Test series.
Muzumdar never won a Test cap with India, despite hitting 30 first-class centuries and 16 half-centuries in a career that spanned two decades and saw him collect more than 11,000 runs for Mumbai, Assam and Andhra Pradesh.
Now he will provide specialist knowledge to the Proteas, who need all they help they can get after failing to score more than 200 in each of their seven innings the last time they toured India in 2015-16.
“Amol is a perfect fit for us,” said CSA acting director of cricket Corrie van Zyl. “He brings an intimate knowledge of Indian playing conditions and the challenges our batsmen are likely to face. He also assisted us at the spin bowling camp we held recently in India and thus has already built up a good working relationship with Aiden Markram, Temba Bavuma and Zubayr Hamza.”
Muzumdar, 44, has previously served as batting coach for the Rajasthan Royals in the IPL and has also worked with the India Under-19 and Under-23 sides. He failed to make the shortlist for India’s batting coach earlier this year, with the position instead going to Vikram Rathore.
“Cricket has always been and will continue to be my calling,” Muzumdar said. “Having spent 25 years on the pitch as a player, I intend to spend the next 25 tapping and grooming talent on the cricket field. I am very excited about this new chapter to my coaching career.”
The first Test starts in Visakhapatnam on October 2.