The latest in a string of off-field incidents had seen the 26-year-old abuse and threaten a Bangladesh cricket fan on Facebook.
The right-handed batsman was summoned by the BCB disciplinary committee for a hearing on Saturday following which he was handed his sentence.
“We recommended six month ban from international cricket and it will be implemented from tomorrow,” BCB director Ismail Haider told reporters after the hearing.
BCB’s disciplinary committee has recommended that Sabbir Rahman be suspended for six months from international cricket. His fault this time is attacking a fan on Facebook just after Bangladesh’s second ODI v West Indies.— Mohammad Isam (@Isam84) September 1, 2018
“He is yet to play domestic cricket for his earlier ban that is expected to end this September. But today we had taken this decision for his Facebook post. Though he said that it was hacked, we don’t have the mechanism to verify that,” he added.
Rahman has also been warned off an even lengthier ban from international cricket if his off-field issues continue.
The middle-order batsman has made the news for the wrong reasons multiple times in the past. He was charged for assaulting a fan during a first-class match at Rajshahi in December last year following which his central contract with BCB was revoked along with a six-month ban from domestic cricket.
In June this year, the batsman was dropped for Bangladesh’s third and final T20I against Afghanistan at Dehradun after getting into a physical altercation with his team-mate Mehidy Hasan during the second match of the series.
Know more about Sport360 Application